[OM] Re: Telecentricity

Subject: [OM] Re: Telecentricity
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:56:55 -0400
Andrew Dacey wrote:

> On 8/24/05, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>I understand from some discussions I have read by people who know
>>something about lens design that placement of the exit pupil is an
>>important consideration for digital. For instance the rear element of
>>the 17-35 is 40mm from the sensor, but the exit pupil is 100mm from
>>the sensor.
>

> Out of curiosity, how would this affect working with panoramas? I
> think to do proper panorama work you're supposed to rotate the camera
> on an axis that passes through the nodal point (which I've heard is
> correctly referred to as the entrance pupil) parallel to the film
> plane. I believe that normally the nodal point is Xmm away from the
> film plane where X is equal to the focal length of the lens. But I'm
> wondering if shifting around the exit pupil would also move the nodal
> point?

The solution is to not worry about the theory of lens design.  Once you
get past a single element lens the determination of nodal points is very
complicated and getting more so.  Best to just do it by experimentation.
  Quick and easy with a digital camera.  See:
<http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/setup_panohead.jsp>

Chuck Norcutt