[OM] Re: Scott's totally subjective 'new E-1' report [windy]

Subject: [OM] Re: Scott's totally subjective 'new E-1' report [windy]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:16:19 -0400
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Wrong triangle, I think. Hard to explain in just text. And you
> changed what I said a little bit. Did not say anything about a center
> subject at 10 feet.
>
> A different way to think about it. Use a protractor and draw a 10 cm
> semicircle. Now draw a straight line tangent to the semicircle at the
> 90 degree point in the middle of the arc.  Assume that you want your
> center of sharp focus at 45 degrees on the circle. Now when you
> reframe so your subject is to the side your 10 cm focus setting is
> still on the semi circle. But you have a straight line that
> represents the plane of focus and your subject you focused on is in
> front of it.

OK, I see the point and I agree if we're talking macro distances and
large angles from the optical center (assuming the optical plane is flat
which is a big asusmption).  And I see how DOF saves us at more typical
distances and angles.  Guess I'll turn the multiple autofocus points
back on during macro focusing.  Ooops!  I misspoke.  I mean I'll turn on
the single "correct" autofocus point that best corresponds with the
subject's position.

Chuck Norcutt