[OM] Re: Telecentricity

Subject: [OM] Re: Telecentricity
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:16:16 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>Check pages 9 and 10 of the following 4/3 system PDF
><http://www.four-thirds.com/pdf/FourThirdsSystem.pdf>
>
>Note the emphasis on the mount diameter being twice the image circle.
>Also, do not be confused by the statement "This gives wide adaptability
>among a variety of image sensors".  This may sound like Olympus could
>release a different size sensor (and they could) but since the 4/3
>standard defines the size of the image circle the only freedom they have
>is changing the shape of the rectangle or making the sensor square.
>They must stay constrained to the defined image circle size.

Do we have any source which allows us to really know what the image
circle of the DiZeta lenses is? We know the diagonal of the sensors, and
generally assume that is the limit of lens coverage. In theory, Oly
could have designed them all for a slightly larger diagonal for future
flexibility. The current sensor is a 22.5 mm diagonal. A 4/3 ratio,
15x20 mm sensor would have a 25 mm diagonal.

In keeping with the recent thread, an 8x10 format sensor of 16x20 mm
would have a 25.6 mm diagonal.

Not saying it is true, just that we wouldnt know if Oly didn't tell.

Moose