[OM] Re: Telecentricity

Subject: [OM] Re: Telecentricity
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:35:47 -0400
Moose wrote:

> Do we have any source which allows us to really know what the image
> circle of the DiZeta lenses is? We know the diagonal of the sensors, and
> generally assume that is the limit of lens coverage. In theory, Oly
> could have designed them all for a slightly larger diagonal for future
> flexibility. The current sensor is a 22.5 mm diagonal. A 4/3 ratio,
> 15x20 mm sensor would have a 25 mm diagonal.

Based on the amount of vignetting visible in dpreview's test of the
14-54 at 14/2.8 <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/page17.asp>
I would say the usable image circle can't be much bigger than the 4/3
sensor.

I wouldn't be surprised but what Oly's 4/3 partners have been testing
Oly lenses for this very situation.  If Oly was actually designing for a
25mm image circle and telling their partners the standard is 22.5 the
other guys could be rightfully PO'd if they suddenly release a larger
sensor or we were to discover they've allowed extra on the image circle
to accommodate Minolta style anti-shake.

Chuck Norcutt