[OM] Best Alternative Long Glass for the E System

Subject: [OM] Best Alternative Long Glass for the E System
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:34:18 -0400
All this talk of the upcoming big guns for the E System (f2.0 zooms et al.)
has got me thinking about alternative longer glass for the E System. So I
put it to the group, what alternative options from the manual focus world
have people tried on their E System bodies? How do third party and OT brands
fair in this area in comparison to the Zuikos (both DZ and analog)? What
results did people find with regard to chroma and other issues? Lets keep it
to lenses 200mm+, all brands are welcome in the discussion.

I will start the ball rolling with the following:

Tokina SL400SD 400mm f5.6 (not AT-Z but it does have SD glass).

This lens mounts well on the E system with the OM adapter ring. Gives a long
reach for not a lot of money. Its main weakness lies within the tripod mount
which is no way near solid enough. With improved technique one should be
able to get more out of it. I found it did produce some fringing on high
contrast subjects but not too ugly. The results where a little on the soft
side too, though I could read three inch high lettering on a building 700
yards way clearly. This lens was in my bag for a while with my OM's but
other than its compact size it never clicked with me as a keeper. Since
trying it out on the E-1 I have let it go.

Now over to you guys

Dan S.