[OM] Re: Some more extremly disturbing skintones...

Subject: [OM] Re: Some more extremly disturbing skintones...
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:48:16 +1000
It's one of those cases where 'less is more' and 'more is less', more
or less.
Children and voluptuous young adults may be happy looking like some
smoothed out R&B singer but older people are more grounded in
reality. Shot a wedding for some late thirties friends as a favour.
She's quite thin and angular with quite few character lines on the
face - lovely woman though. I tried completely removing the crow's
feet, etc. and it looked very wrong indeed. It was far more effective
to soften them with the lightly applied blur tool. Worked better than
overall softening too - inappropriate for a two shot. Took time
though. It said that here was a person with some character in the
face but it was a little kinder as she isn't too photogenic - one of
those people who are more attractive in life as their personality
animates them. They were very happy with the result.
While that's not old (shit, wish i was that age again) i suspect that
the same rule might apply for women. Old males are much more
interesting rendered sharp. There is a huge industry in what i might
call 'mundane glamour' - the studios that promise to take in a chubby
grandmother and produces shots of her that make her look like a sex
goddess. They get surpising results by the use of careful lighting,
make up, props, etc.  Most people do it for fun - some take
themselves a bit too seriously tho'.
Andrewf