[OM] Re: OM macro lenses?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM macro lenses?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:12:31 -0700
R. Jackson wrote:

>I've always kind of wondered about the 20mm and 38mm macro lenses.
>Anyone tried them? I don't own the bellows or the auto-extension
>tube, so it's just kind of a passing curiosity, but I'd love to hear
>something about the lenses or see photos someone has taken with them.

One very important thing to know is that the original 20mm macro lens,
f3.5, was not a complete success. The problem is diffraction effects.
Even at f3.5, the diaphram is a small enough hole that it starts working
like a pinhole, throwing off the optical formula. The new lens, the
20/2, performed much better. This is all hearsay, in the sense that I've
never seen either of these lenses in person, but have read aand heard
about them from those who have used them.

The tradeoff between DOF and lens sharpness is an important aspect of
microphotography.

Moose