[OM] Re: Constructive criticism wanted...

Subject: [OM] Re: Constructive criticism wanted...
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:37:45 +0100
In message <op.sv6n9pvzgyeym4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          iddi <iddibhai@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Did you use a flash, perchance? The green leaves lower right seem very
> hot, and it also looks like some reflections of the bark of the main tree.

Nope. I left the flash in the car - all I had was the OM10, the 50mm Zuiko,
the 80-200mm Tokina and a few spare rolls of film (Fuji Superia 200). I
probably should have used 400 or 800 film instead.

> In any case, assuming the camera meter is operating normally, in such
> tricky lighting areas, I like to meter the palm of my hand *as long as it
> in the same or very close lighting conditions given the dappled light
> here* and open up one stop. Your palm, regardless of skin tone, is very
> close to 1 stop away from 18%, so this work well. Second, if the shutter
> speeds drop then brace the camera against a tree or branch or something
> firm (if elastic, like a springy branch, keep it under tension). I've done
> that a few times, and depending on how patient and smooth you are, some
> decent results can be had.
>
> What's the flare-looking area bottom fifth of 10A?

I have absolutely no idea, unless it's got something to do with me removing
and reseating the Winder mid-film (it decided it wasn't going to work, so I
removed it, cleaned the contacts and reseated it - fat lot of good that did).
The Winder is still acting up - I really need to find my contact cleaning
rubber and clean the contacts.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have a play around and see what I can come
up with. I don't think I'll be using the lens at f1.8 in future though...

Later,
--
Phil.                              | Acorn RiscPC600 SA220 64MB+6GB 100baseT
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx              | Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxe R2 512MB+100GB