[OM] Re: hot shoe

Subject: [OM] Re: hot shoe
From: "Paul Laughlin" <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:49:01 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2005 6:20 PM

> BTW, what's a "red dot sight"?

It is an air gun sight.  It puts a red dot on a reflective lens to aim.
There is a company that makes a gadget called an "xtend-a-sight" that mounts
in a hot shoe.  Works nice for aiming with a zoom lens and for panning at
high zooms.  I have only seen them used on digital cameras with long zoom.
Had one rigged for the Oly C2100UZ, but it used a piece of PVC tubing around
the lens snout to hold the sight.  The sights are made to clamp onto a
standard 3/8 th inch bevel sight mount.  The extend a sight has the bevel
mount built in.  My problem is that I have a Konica Minolta digital and it
uses their @#$$%^^ proprietary mount.  I am building an adapter by attaching
a standard hot shoe part (or cold shoe, if you will) on the shoe cover that
came with the camera.  That way it will mount solidly to the camera.  I have
found a source for the hot shoe  part, by the way.  Here is the URL for the
"Xtend-a sight":

http://www.photosolve.com/main/product/xtendasight/index.html

Paul in Portland OR