[OM] Re: OM macro lenses?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM macro lenses?
From: "Dean C. Hansen" <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:56:49 -0700
    I use the 38/2.8 extensively to photograph insects and jumping
spiders.  "Indispensable" is not too strong an adjective to describe
this wonderful lens.  If you're interested in photographing things a few
to several millimeters long, get this lens.  I used mine a couple days
ago and have picked up two backups just in case something dire happens
to it.  The lens is unmatched for serious macro work, and I expect to
use mine until I die.   KEH has two available now, but at prices you'd
probably be able to beat on da bay.  (I sniped a NIB example three weeks
ago--brag, brag--for under $200. I couldn't believe it!)   I don't shot
below f11--diffraction sets in noticeably at f16 and is even worse at
f22.  I have used the lens with an extension tube hand-held.
    I use my 20/2 very occasionally.  It's so macro that you're usually
getting parts of an insect rather than the whole thing.  It's great for
photographing scales on a butterfly's wing or gills on a mayfly nymph,
for instance.
    In either case, keep looking for the automatic versions; don't waste
your money on the older ones with the manual diaphragm.  You won't use
the manual ones in the field.
    A major problem with either lens is lighting.  I have used two T20's
or two T32's on a Lepp II Dual Macro Flash Bracket.  Unfortunately, this
bracket is no longer being manufactured (sound familiar?).  The OM T28
Twin Macro flashes are hard to come by.
    I'll be bringing the whole collection of OM macro lenses out to the
Beartooth Mts. in Montana in a few days to do some underwater macro
photography of aquatic insect larvae.  The brick of E100VS from B&H
arrived Friday, and I don't expect to return with any unexposed rolls.
The 38/2.8 will be getting a real workout.
Best wishes,
Dean