[OM] Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner (OT)

Subject: [OM] Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner (OT)
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:52:49 +1000
I've had this for about a year, and only just opened up
the box to get it out (good luck with any warranty work,
hey? ;-) ).

Anyway, I ran it up last night, and put some neg's in it,
and initial crash-through response is that I am very happy
with it. I think it'll do me nicely for that backlog of my
own pictures and my late  mother-out-law's slides I've
inherited.

I also downloaded Vuescan, and didn't find the result
quite as good as the Epson software (subtle difference),
which, considering commentary to the contrary, indicates
that I'll have to actually RTFM, on both, dammit! :) I
was quite pleased with both results though, even with the
USM required (though the examples I used make me suspect
that perhaps the scanner wasn't the primary cause of some
of the softness. I think I need to work on my technique
some more, or use the tripod more often ;) )

Still, I'm looking forward to actually doing it all properly
and bringing in the older stuff. There's a needle-in-a-neg'
-stack pleasure in there, with me waiting for a black-and-
white neg' that I took up at the Hut to pop out, of my
mother-out-law sitting at the old wooden table by the
window reading a newspaper. I liked that one a lot, and yet
it's sunk into the [ahem] filing system  somewhere. It'll be
fun going back through it all, and seeing what else is there
and reminiscing (not to mention *her* old slides).

Anyway, the point is, my initial set-up-and-ten-minute-scan-and
-review-without-RTFM-or-really-knowing-what-I'm-doing is that
it's *very* good for me (though this perhaps throws into light
that perhaps my standards aren't near as high as others), and
that I like my "new" toy. I should have set it up earlier.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz