[OM] Re: Calculating reproduction ratio with teleconverter

Subject: [OM] Re: Calculating reproduction ratio with teleconverter
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:36:10 -0700
Andrew Dacey wrote:

>Wow, an actual on-topic post that's not digital to boot, will wonders

>never cease?

Probably not.

>I'm wondering about how to go about calculating the reproduction ratio

>when combining a macro lens with a teleconverter.

>Specifically, I have a Tamron 90/2.5 macro (the 2nd version) which

>goes to 1:2 on it's own. If I attach my Vivitar macro focusing

>teleconverter that would take me to 1:1 (it's a 2x converter) right?

>But, then I can also focus the converter to get extra extension. How

>do I calculate what the total ratio would be? Do I calculate the total

>extension and then multiply by 2 or is there another way to work this

>out?

<SNIP>

I like the empirical method where you just bolt it all together and measure
it.

I make that comment mainly because I can?t figure it out :-)

I made a series of rectangles in a CAD package that represented the various
ratios, printed it out and just point and look.  And yes I know that the
viewfinder isn?t 100% of the total size (but we chose OM?s because the do
show a lot ? right?)  It?s close enough for government work.

If you look at John Shaw?s Closeups in Nature on the chapter on
teleconverters:

50 mm lens with 50 mm extension ? 1:1 with 4? working distance and 2 stop
loss

50 mm lens with 2x and 100mm extension - 1:1 with 8? working distance and 4
stop loss

50mm lens with 25mm extension and 2x converter ? 1:1 with 6? working
distance and 3 stop loss

50 mm lens with 17mm extension, 2x converter, 25mm extension ? 1:1 with 7?
working distance and 3 ½ stop loss.

Jay