[OM] Re: FA-1027 Developer

Subject: [OM] Re: FA-1027 Developer
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:59:15 -0700 (PDT)
Earl Dunbar wrote:
> I was perusing the Fine Art website today, as someone on
> APUG had posted a question on Perfecta paper.  I noted two
> things... Firstly, Anthony has moved to Montana...

I think he's still living in Rochester. He sold FAPS to
Photographer's Formulary.  I don't know exactly why, but he
needed to bail out for personal reasons.  They are continuing to
carry the product lines for right now.  I'm a little concerned
as I've settled in on using Perfecta papar and developer.
Excellent product, excellent price.

> Secondly, in promoting his FA-1027 film developer, he had some
> "unkind" things to say about DD-X.  I don't recall your saying
> anything about having tried FA-1027, but perhaps you have.

I talked with Anthony about it, but I'd lose film speed
(requiring overexposure) and push/pull flexibility.  The
developer is a little heavy with the restrainers. This does help
with fogging, providing clean rich blacks.  However, it also
makes for a harsher break in the shadows.

> Since you are the resident DD-X guru, I wondered if you had
> found the "fault" he mentions (excess  fog) to actually exist,
> at least in your protocol.  Naturally, I refer to analog OM
> exposures, so as to contribute an on-topic post.

One of the DD-X gurus. I know of at least one other on the list.
 Does DD-X allow fogging?  Short answer is "yes".  As DD-X is a
push/pull developer it is a bit weak in restrainers.  However,
this also means that the shadow details tend to hold a lot
longer than what you'd typically see.  With a modern emulsion
like Delta 400 you can usually get another 1/2 stop of usable
latitude from the shadow side.  I'm ok with slight fogging as it
seems to print a little better with a diffusion enlarger (which
I use).

>From my conversations with Anthony about FA-1027, I'd say that
it's definitely worth checking out.  I'm kinda married to DD-X
as I've got a lot of time/materials invested into it.  But I'd
be encouraging of others to try it out.

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs