[OM] Re: saturation problems (was Airshow photos - E-1 and C-60)

Subject: [OM] Re: saturation problems (was Airshow photos - E-1 and C-60)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:06:26 +0100
Alfredo

Thanks for your email and your advice.

On 30 Aug 2005, at 07:27, alfredo pagliano wrote:

> It does seem to me You have problems with color profiles.
You're probably right, and now is the time to sort it out.

> What color profile was embedded in your image from the camera?
>
> sRGB or RGB?
>
> Did You process RAW or use the Jpeg straight from the camera?
Adobe RGB and JPEG.  I tried converting to sRGB and putting it on a
separate page; it is at:
http://www.threeshoes.co.uk/temp/Diana_comparison.htm

It looks better already, but I must find out more.

> If, like me You use a Mac, You should be aware that the Colorsync
> engine manages the appareance of even the images displayed in Safari.
>
> This does mean the image looks different to You than on a PC without
> colour management or simply another browse, to the best of my
> knowledge
> Safari is still the only browser supporting color profiles, so, You
> can
> download Firefox, or Camino, and display the image on this browser to
> see if it does diplay differently, You can find them at:

I tried it in Camino and it looked pretty similar.  However, that is
partly to do with the surrounding dark colour which has made the
whole image a little warmer, or more saturated.

> RapidWeaver is a great little program, and is not to blame for this.
Thanks for reassuring me.  But I have to use Dreamweaver to make
things like tables; I did this for the website for my parish church,
under construction at: www.threeshoes.co.uk/stpeters

On the other hand the relative simplicity of RapidWeaver's themes has
transformed the way I look at making websites - simpler and smaller
is better.

> There are two ways to get rid of this, first add code on Your page
> telling the browser not to use the embedded color profile, of
> simply be
> sure to turn off Photoshop color management, and save whitout embedded
> color profile, by unchecking the flag in the save as dialog.
>
> Be aware that even in this case, having the mac by default different
> color temperatures and monitor gamma from a PC, the images will look
> brighter on Your screen than on a PC.
>
> Simply cannot understand why some people keep using PCs... ;-)
>
> To get an idea, if You use safari, please check the difference:
>
> http://not.contaxg.com/document.php?id=8638
>
> this is an image I posted on a site, since the site engine
> automatically resized it, the image did loose the embedded color
> profile,
> click on the image to see it real size, and see how hues and
> saturation
> change.
>
> If You have Firefox, open the link and click on the image: colour and
> saturation will not change.
>
> If You want to know more, launch the Colorsync Utility, You can
> find it
> in Applications\Utilities, or simply spotlight the words, and launch
> the application help, if You haven't done this before, You simply will
> be amazed from the power concealed under the bonnet of OS X, You can
> even use it to compare color profiles!

I will do that, thanks Alfredo.

> Hope this helps.
>
> BTW, saturation may sure not be good for skin tones, but I really like
> it when it comes to airplanes and sky, I like these shots very much.

Mille grazie :-)