[OM] Re: E1 with OM adapter pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 with OM adapter pictures
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:11:06 -0400

swisspace wrote:

> As I said I am here to learn, so if I was to take the shot again or a
> similar one how do you recommend I should I do it, If using fill in
> flash would it be okay from the top of the camera or should it really be
> fired from the left hand side.  I have also been meaning to get myself a
> portable reflector which I am guessing would need to be positioned on
> the left.

For the purposes of softening this shadow I would probably place the
reflector or fill flash opposite the sun as you suggested.  The
reflector would be much easier to deal with since you can see the result
and you're less likely to cast *another* shadow from *too much* flash or
  reflected light.  The effect I was thinking of here was very subtle so
I would likely place the reflector further away than when using fill on
people.

When shooting people looking at the camera you're trying to reduce the
shadows under the eyes, nose and chin so you come primarily from the
front.  If using a reflector it has to be postioned to cast some light
on the shadows but also be out of view.  Frequently the best place is
from underneath the face, especially if you're in open shade or overcast
skies where there is still a "raccoon eye" effect but much softer.  The
subject may be able to hold the reflector in his/her lap. Diffused
camera mounted flash does well here also but better is flash with a
small umbrella and stand not too far from your shooting position.

> I suppose really though I need to try the various options.
>
> here is another one, taken indoors (no flash allowed) for which I had no
> idea how I should have dealt with the shadow produced by the overhead
> lights, having not used a reflector (yet) should I have and do you think
> it would have worked at reducing the shadow enough.
>
> http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/34057652-L.jpg

I like this one just as it is.  It might be improved slightly by
weakening the shadow under the eyes just a bit but I think it works OK
as is.  The under eye shadow is dark but not completely black.  This
very angular figure is complemented by the strong shadow.

For this image in particular, since there's detail visible in the
shadows you could simply try lightening the shadows a bit with curves
and see how it looks.

The other image's shadows looked really black but maybe that's just the
web image.  If there is any detail visible in those shadows you could
try the same thing.

My 2 cents,
Chuck Norcutt

Chuck Norcutt