[OM] Re: [OT] Opera is free today!

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Opera is free today!
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:48:35 -0300
On 8/31/05, Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> But it says it will annoy me with advertising.  I don't need that s**t.  IE
> ain't bad enough for me to swap it for that garbage.  Anyway, I've become
> accustomed to IE and wonder why some folks bitch so much about it.  It's sort
> of like taking pictures with a 30-year-old camera: I know how it works and
> I'm comfortable with, and accepting of, its shortcomings.  :-)

Well the advertising issue was why the free registration for the day
was a big deal, get the browser for free and get a registration code
to remove the ads for free. Normally, you can get it for free with ads
or pay to remove them.

As for why you'd give up IE, I don't want to start a browser war here.
But, I'll mention that your camera analogy is flawed. Here's an
example using your analogy. There are standards defined for exposure
values and the sensitivity of film and whatnot. If your 30yr old
camera's meter was 2 stops out it's a problem with the camera right?
That's the way that a lot of users of alternative browsers look at IE.
On the other hand what if C*n*n made all of their camera bodies'
meters 2 stops out and then expected film manufacturers to adjust
their film ratings to match? That's more or less the way that M$ seems
to do things.

In short, there are a ton of flaws in IE but since it's the most
commonly used browser a lot of people design their websites around the
way IE works, not the way the standards say things should work so that
tends to hide a lot of the flaws. But once you know what they are and
how badly IE abuses most (if not all) standards it's a real pain in
the butt. Not to mention the annoying bugs that have been kicking
around for several versions.