[OM] Re: Zuiko 50-250/5

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 50-250/5
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:26:56 -0700
My bokeh comment comes from what various people said after looking at
C.H.Ling's test.
http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/bokeh.htm

Most of my photography uses hyperfocal focusing or at least I'm trying to
get as much DOF as possible. I'm not sure I agree with the majority nor is
bokeh often an issue for how I normally use it.

I've never taken a photo with the 50-250/5 that I thought suffered because
of the lens. If I carry a long telephoto; Zuiko 400/6.3, or Tamron 400/4, I
almost always carry the Zuiko 50-250/5 in order to keep my bag light enough
that I can carry it. If I'm not carrying a heavy lens I still often take it.
Probably the only time I don't is if I want to have something faster or if I
just want to try something different. I'm not sure I've ever used the 50-250
at 50. I also usually carry a 35-xx zoom.

I very much like the feel of the 50-250/5 ... for me it is a classic Zuiko:
small, built in lens hood, a great solid feel to it. Although I'm hardly
inconspicuous carrying around a tripod, I don't think people react to the
50-250 the way they do to a big lens pointed at them.

For the wide end I love the shift lenses so I can't say anything about the
28-48 Zuiko.

If I were trying to go light, I would probably carry a 24/2.8, a 35-70, and
the 50-250. (a 24/2.8 was the first wide angle I owned)

Best wishes,

-jeff
I seldom use film faster than Fuji Provia 100 and probably 90% of the time I
use a tripod even in cities such as San Francisco.