[OM] Re: John Lind, list member

Subject: [OM] Re: John Lind, list member
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:38:23 -0400
John A. Lind wrote:

> Been telling myself since the weekend that I'm in infinitely better
> condition compared to millions of others in the Gulf of Mexico.
------------------------------------

I went through hurricane Andrew in '92 which left *only* 250,000
homeless.  I didn't think it could get much worse as it was total,
tornado-like destruction on the 25-30 mile wide path of the eye.
However, since it was heading due west you can only destroy about 15
miles of civilization before hitting the Everglades.  It was also moving
very fast and was a very compact storm which didn't cause a fraction of
the water damage Katrina has done.  My house was about 35 miles north of
the eye and about 8 miles inland.  As near as I can figure from the
radar images we had maximum winds of about 120 mph but for only a brief
time.  My house was designed to withstand that and suffered only minor
damage.  Had Andrew been Katrina I'm sure the outcome for me would have
been much different even though I was very well prepared.

What is happening to all those people right now is beyond my comprehension.

Chuck Norcutt