[OM] Re: #297

Subject: [OM] Re: #297
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:16:19 -0300
On 9/1/05, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now, I thought that you had made a mistake with the url of your site
> (in your signature) but omitting the "www" works as well, just re-
> directing it to your site.  How have you done that?

The short answer is that you configure the web server to recognise
both names as belonging to that site and make sure the DNS records
point both to the same IP address. How you do that depends on how your
site is set up and whether you're hosting it yourself or someone else
is.

There's a lot of cool tricks you can do to redirect people. For
instance, I recently decided to go through my logs and see where my
404 errors (file not found) were coming from since I knew there
weren't any broken links on my site. It turns out that peopel were
still linking to .html files on my site even though I'd switched to
php ages ago so all the files had the same name but were .php. I
little quick configuring and now my site automatically redirects you
to the .php file.