[OM] Re: E1 sighting

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 sighting
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:52:21 -0300
On 9/1/05, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think what strikes you as odd is that, even if he had the good fortune
> to catch the bird in the shade vs. direct sun, the bird is still being
> illuminated from above by that bright blue sky.  The bird is too well
> lit underneath which is what gives it that "funny" appearance.
>
> I agree, I don't think there was fill flash applied but I think there
> was plenty of fill PhotoShop applied.

Could be, I thought the edges seemed a little TOO defined which you
see a lot when you do masking work. But it's also very similar to the
effect you get with fill flash so it could be either way. As C.H.
pointed out, there are catch lights in the eyes of the birds. I also
see a catch light in 004 now that I look more closely and that was the
other one that I thought was a little "off" to me too but not as much
as the bird pictures. There's too much of a shadow under the insect in
that one for the ambient lighting so I'd say a flash or reflector was
used in that shot for sure.