[OM] Re: 21mm

Subject: [OM] Re: 21mm
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:27:25 +0100 (BST)

> Eh, I spent a lot of years in love with my 28mm. I still love it, for
> that matter. I have an 18mm and love how fast and dirty you can get
> with it, but you pretty much have to accept the way it sees the world
> and find ways to make it work for you. I just remember being
> fascinated by the reasons this listee quoted for 21mm lenses being
> "ideal" in some sense and like so many things that stick in my head,
> when I went back to try to find it for review I discovered I couldn't
> lay my hand on it. I'm either really bad at searching the archives or
> I have a really vivid imagination. ;-)

For the photography I shoot, sun rise, set, architecture, hong kong night
sky line, temples and mountains etc I use a 24mm more than a 28mm. I only
occasionally resort to a 21mm f3.5 when I simply can't get back far enough
to use a 24. True the 28mm f2 is super sharp and I am very happy with the
shoots I get from it but often its just not wide enough for me, The
olympus 24mm f2.8 is quite nice in the centre but a bit unsharp around the
edges, I only recently got a 24mm f2 so I will reserve comment on it until
I have more experience of it but it seems a better compromise between edge
and centre sharpness. I find that I have quite a bit of trouble with the
21 because if it is slightly off level then parallels converge - its a
tough lens to align and use. This is not a critisism of the olympus 21mm
f3.5. But very wides in general.

James with real OM content