[OM] Re: Some guys never learn

Subject: [OM] Re: Some guys never learn
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:00:42 -0700

>a challenge between two Mercedes diesels (not
>that economical) and a new Lexus hybrid SUV. Guess what, in a cross-country
>trip, cost the least to operate?  The diesels.

Not surprising when you think about it. The hybrids are optimal for
in-city driving, slow stop and go traffic. Diesels excel at a steady
highway speed. In fact I think it is reflected on the gov't mileage
sticker. For the hybrids the avg mpg city driving is about the same or
even better than highway mpg.

This fact seems to have been lost on all the trust-funders and yuppies
around here who rushed out and bought up the new hybrids (or got on a
waiting list) even though the mix of typical  local driving  would tend
to heavily favor a TDi.  Maybe there is something like the Hummer
deduction to assuage the wallet as well as the conscience. :>)

Mike