[OM] Re: Some guys never learn

Subject: [OM] Re: Some guys never learn
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:46:13 +1000

On 07/09/2005, at 3:09 AM, AG Schnozz wrote:

> Anybody know where I can find published power/torque charts for
> the Audis online?  Also, what octane gas would you normally use?
>  95 seems a bit crazy.  I typically have tanked up on 89 with
> 10% ethanol (it's grown here).  I tankful of that seems to run
> just fine, but I have no point of comparison.

Below is the recommendation Audi make in Australia where E10 fuel is
just coming on line - sugar cane waste derived.   Regular here is 91
octane unleaded, premium is 95. There is a 98 octane premium 10%
ethanol available which is recommended but standard E10 at 94 octane
is not. Close thing though.
A4 2L is not recommended for both material incompatibility and
driveability problems. Material problems suggest that the seals and
hoses may not be ethanol resistant, for instance. Driveability may
include serious flat spots in acceleration and vapour lock in feed
lines due to increases volatility of ethanol. This is a real problem
with pre-1986 vehicles as they are normally aspirated. However, these
recommendations often err on the side of extreme caution to avoid
warranty and legal disputes. Some manufacturers here gave a flat NO
without reasons and this indicated a reluctance to test rather than
anything else. However, given the typical German commitment to
quality issues and environment concerns, I'd take their word for it.
AndrewF

"All current Audi vehicles must run on minimum 95 RON fuel (premium
unleaded petrol).
All Audi vehicle models since 1986 will operate satisfactorily on E10
except as listed below:
Audi A3 1.8L (Engine Code 'APG' 2000 onwards) and A4 2.0L (Engine
Code 'ALT' 2001 onwards) will operate satisfactorily on E5 ethanol
blended petrol (European Standard EN 228). However, E10 ethanol
blended petrol is not recommended for these vehicle models as there
are material compatibility and drivability issues. E10 may be used in
emergency situations."