[OM] Re: Some guys never learn

Subject: [OM] Re: Some guys never learn
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:03:08 -0500
Paul Braun wrote:

> Not sure what the average mpg for a small diesel is, but my wife's Honda
> Insight has averaged 50mpg over the last 4000 miles, and that's a good
> mix of highway/city, some of it with just her in the car, some of it
> with both of us, most of it with the A/C on.

I'm getting somewhere between 38 mpg during mostly-short-hop winter
driving and 47 in the summer, in a 50/50 mix of city and highway. If I'm
on the highway for the majority of the time, more than 50 mpg is not
unreasonable. I think my personal best was 56 mpg on a springtime trip
across (flat) Minnesota. I've got almost 30,000 miles on a Volkswagen
Jetta Wagon (similar to a Golf Estate; a little bigger than a regular
Golf). I really should drive it more than I do... :-)

Steve