[OM] Re: [OT] Victimizing the victims

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Victimizing the victims
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:46:35 +0000
I won't dispute for one minute that insurance fraud is a problem.  But those
cases nearly never come to trial, because lawyers who take such cases get
disbarred and their clients to go jail.  Fraud is a problem at the bottom rung
of the insurance process, usually is obvious, and seldom gets farther than a
competent adjuster.

The kind of "niggling" cases I'm talking about are where there's a
fender-bender, usually at least arguably the fault of the insured, and the
other party takes three days off work, goes to a chiropractor recommended by
his or her lawyer 55 times (sometimes it's the chiropractor who recommends the
lawyer -- we called this "quack-to-quack"), then wants medical bills and lost
wages to the tune of $2200 or so.

If the insurance company wants to pay one of their lawyers $250 an hour to
spend two days trying the case, they have that right.  It's not sending a
message to anybody but the taxpayers on the jury who swear they'll never get
insurance from that company and the poor shmuck who had the insurance and who
got sued because his insurer was too cheap to protect him and so he had to take
two days off work to come to court and sit by the insurance company lawyer,
looking like any judgment was coming out of his pocket, then had to testify
about how, yeah, he rear-ended this poor woman and didn't seem to be all that
concerned about how terribly injured she was, and who's had his credit ruined
by being sued.

If my insurance company did this to me, I'd kick somebody's ass.

walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --