[OM] Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- sort of.

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- sort of.
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:21:35 EDT

In a message dated 9/9/2005 10:19:26 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
hiwayman@xxxxxxx writes:

My  vantage point would be like that of the guy in the rear, holding onto the
 tail, standing knee-deep in dung, and breathing elephant  farts.

Apologies to those my opinions may have  offended.

Walt, you brought a smile to my face this morning.  That is always a  good
way to start a day . . .  and to finish one.

There is perhaps a person left out of your equation.  The fourth one  being
the one who is a 1000 miles away and who hasn't ever seen an elephant and
certainly doesn't live with the elephant, but has a very strong opinion about
elephants and knows he is "right" about his view of elephants as his fellow
travelers all tell him he is right and he is after all just repeating what they

have told him (although somehow he thinks his thoughts about elephants are
original).  He may also think he is and his thoughts are "The way and the
light"
and that anyone who doesn't agree with him is some combination of
uninformed, stupid or less highly evolved as an intelligent being.   IMHO, what
#4 puts
out smells worst than that in which you are  standing.  Unlike the elephant
dung, his will not make your roses on  anything else of beauty grow.  Oh yes,
it
is self perpetuating and what it  perpetuates is both ugly and destructive.
That is indeed unfortunate,  particularly for #4.

My soap box is now retired (well, perhaps it is taking a bit of a  rest).

One of the organizations with which I have chosen to be associated is  Rotary
International.  Tomorrow evening we are having our annual fundraiser  which
generates the funding for our entire year.  We will raise somewhere  around
$250,000, which we will return to our community in a number of different  ways.

Community in this case is global and much of what we do is  local.  The list
of projects we have undertaken over the past 15 years or  so that I've been a
member of this organization is rather impressive.  They  are works which make a
difference.

There is Olympus content here.  One of the items which I have either  donated
or had others donate this year is a framed photograph created with my  e-1
and a pinhole adapter.  Ken, you know which one it is.  I don't  know how much
it will bring, however it is a way for me to contribute and get  some of my
work hanging on someone else's wall.  I would encourage each of  the folks on
this list to investigate the possibility of doing the same for the  fundraisers
in their communities.  Keep your eye out for opportunities and  they will
appear.  It offers each of us an opportunity to share our passion  and our
abundance.

Bill Barber