[OM] Re: olympus range-finder?

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus range-finder?
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:12:58 -0400
The limitation of the RC is shutter speeds.  Lowest is 1/15, highest is
1/500.  Lens is very good, maximum aperture is f2.8,  minimum is f22
though I haven't tested image quality at that aperture.  Information on
the interenet (and as Dan S says) indicates that manual mode on the RC
is not metered, but I don't think this is true.  First, the manual does
not say this.  Second, in my tests, I have noted that in manual mode, if
you depress the shutter half way, the meter gives an accurate reading,
then you can set exposure.  Not the most elegant solution, but it seems
to work.

The RD is a slightly larger RC with f1.8 lens, but I don't have one, so
I don't know any more than that except that pretty much all of them that
haven't been serviced suffer from oily shutter blades which jams it up.

The SP is bigger than the RD and RC, but is very nice in the hand, IMO.
It's most attractive feature is spot metering, and I find the meter to
be accurate both in average and spot modes, when needed.  The viewfinder
display shows EVs rather than aperture and shutter speed.  That's
inconvenient for a lot of people, but isn't a huge issue if you get used
to it.

My preference is for the SP, but as I said, I don't have an RD.  The RD
is more pocketable, so it would be more convenient in some situations.
I just wouldn't want to be without the spot meter.  ;-)

Oh, and the rangefinder on the SP is really nice.  Better than my Konica
C35 or Minolta 7s, especially in difficult lighting.  It's not a Leica,
of course, but it's close enough for the money.

Is it a good idea?  Depends if you like rangefinders.  If you do, or
develop the appetite for them, you could start collecting yet more
versions of Zuikos.  Ask my wife how I know this...

Earl