[OM] Re: [OT] Getting gassed - a rant.

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Getting gassed - a rant.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:02:35 -0400
John Hudson wrote:

> Gasolene is still dirt cheap in the US compared to Europe, Canada and
> elsewhere. Tack on a extra U$1 plus a gallon and the US oiloholic would
> consume less. The extra buck could be directed to the Big Easy to help in
> the clean up.

The extra buck will get directed to the Big Easy but, in the US, never
in the form of such an easily recognized and frequently encountered tax
as the gas tax.

I haven't read the Economist article you mentioned but if this is their
proposal it's just Euro-think here.  They don't understand US-think
where even a tiny (let alone $1) gas tax is political suicide.

Chuck Norcutt