[OM] Re: Wedding shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Wedding shoot
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:45:12 -0500
ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Well, I can speak for my own experience... The priest said MY wedding HAD to
> start promptly at 6PM and the wedding guest's cars HAD to be out of the
> church's parking lot BEFORE  7PM, because bingo started at promptly 7:30 and
> the
> church needed the parking spaces for them!  Ah, the true priorities of the
> Catholic Church!
[snip]

My most severely time crunched wedding was in a Catholic church.  Found
myself with about 20 minutes to do all the altar returns and be
completely cleared out of the sanctuary for another wedding scheduled
after the one I was shooting . . . in spite of both the priest and me
warning the bride not to dawdle around with greeting guests while the
church emptied.  No way to use the monolights, I looked at what was on
hand, quickly jury rigged a Sunpak 544 with 5x7 softbox onto a bracket
for my M645 and used that . . . a combination of flash, bracket and
camera body I'd never used before.  Mea Culpa.  I found out about the
other wedding the night before, had a bad feeling this might happen and
was almost caught flat-footed.

With less that five minutes before "drop dead" everything was chucked
into all the bags in record time and I flew out the door.  Even then we
had to skip some things that would have been nice to have but weren't
essential . . . something I had to remind the bride about when the
proofs were delivered when she had a memory lapse about what happened.
Other aspects of her wedding were disorganized as well; I was ever so
glad when it was over.

Catholic churches seem to have more regular Saturday activities
scheduled, but other demoninations occasionally pack things in on
Saturdays as well.  Finding out what else is going on before and after
the ceremony early on prevents surprises.

-- John