[OM] Re: Katrina Disaster Caused By Exotic Dancers

Subject: [OM] Re: Katrina Disaster Caused By Exotic Dancers
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 06:32:39 +0100
I think that that has been made quite clear by the news media Chuck.
It's a big area.  But that makes it all the more appalling that it
should have happened, that such a large area could have been allowed
to remain vulnerable to flooding.

While I was in Florida we were continually prepared, during the
hurricane season, to evacuate the F16s, all 120 of them, from MacDill
(Tampa, Florida) to Georgia or somewhere else further north.  Our
families would have been similarly prepared to head north to higher
ground to avoid the results of a storm surge in the tide (my wife was
never particularly impressed that I would be able to swan off in my
little wonder-jet while she corralled the kids and kit ;-)).  It is
astounding that, 15 years later such precautions seem to have been
discarded or merely "nodded" to in a far more vulnerable area.  Mind
you, in 1990, before the invasion of Kuwait, there were far more
military units stationed in the CONUS; none of them was diverted on
ghastly, fruitless adventures overseas.  There were more people
trained to carry out emergency procedures then.

I have spent many happy days in "Nawlans", first on holiday with my
family on our way to Arkansas, then on TDY with my squadron from
MacDill.  We were up training with the Air National Guard and their
F15s and the evenings on Bourbon Street (well, in just one bar
actually ...).

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker