[OM] Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- sort of.

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A sincere apology -- sort of.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 07:55:27 -0400
Parzival Herzog wrote:

> Good point: a major contributing factor to the subsidence are the
> flood-control levees, which don't allow the subsiding land to be replenished
> with flood-borne sediments.
>
> Now there is the opportunity to not rebuild the mostly destroyed city, saving
> expense of long-term counterproductive flood control measures. I expect that
> hubris disguised in the rhetoric of solidarity ("The courageous people of
> great city of New Orleans will rebuild!") will prevail. As if nature were a
> personal enemy to whom some point of defiance could be addressed.

Economics will never enter the picture.  It will be rebuilt based on
historical and cultural significance.  My guess is that the Corps of
Engineer's (1990?) plan for restoring and maintaining the delta will
probably be part of it.  Estimated cost about 14 billion or about the
same as the actual (not estimated) cost of Boston's "Big Dig".

Chuck Norcutt