[OM] Re: Wedding shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Wedding shoot
From: Parzival Herzog <parzp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:37:15 -0500
On Saturday 10 September 2005 16:23, James N. McBride wrote:
> Bet you're glad you read John's primer. I'm very happy to not do weddings
> any more. /jmac

Here's a happier version of the same foolishness: My wife is a marriage
commissioner, and I often accompany her to her assignments, so I get to
attend more than the usual number of weddings in a year. Most, but not all of
these are relatively informal ceremonies, but often not small.

In going through the on-location rehearsal for yesterday's wedding, I asked
the groom whether they had a photographer. He said that the had a friend who
would do videography, and several others had offered to do photography.

So, yesterday afternoon, a little bird told me, "bring your camera", and I
heeded the call. Disobeying all of John Lind's real advice, and obeying all
of his facetious advice, I packed my OM-4T, winder 2, 75-150 zoom, 85 f/2, 50
f/1.4, 2 rolls Fuji Reala 400, 2 of 800, T20 flash.

It turned out to be cloudy-bright day at the formal gardens in a local park.
Some confusion arose as the guests had difficulty locating the spot, and the
couple arrived late. But the light was good. The groom was dashing in a white
tuxedo. The videographer was there and diligent, however I could see that the
"photographer friends" were prepared only to take snapshots when they felt
like it. So I decided I was it, and got busy.

The couple performed admirably. My 75-150 was a bit too long (not having been
officially asked, I had not wanted to intrude on the ceremony.) One close
call where I hit my last frame exactly at the "kissing point" of the
ceremony, and no loaded second camera ready...

Since the bride was leaving town the next day, (bride and groom live in
separate cities for now), I decided (apologies to John) to take the  film to
a one-hour, and use the doubles as proofs, letting the couple choose which
images I would later scan and digitally process, then have photographically
printed for their eternal enjoyment.

Prints in hand, I arrived in time for the reception. There were a number of
quite good shots. The bride was very happy to see them. I left the reception
to the videographer and the friends.

Into the flames and out, unsinged: it was beginners luck, and the benefit of
no expectations on the part of anybody.

--
Parzival Herzog