[OM] Re: Lighting ideas for use with OM and e-1 cameras - watch out, thi

Subject: [OM] Re: Lighting ideas for use with OM and e-1 cameras - watch out, this is on topic!
From: Craig Cunningham <cunninghamster1954@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:52:59 -0700 (PDT)
Bill,

One suggestion is to take a look at the Photoflex
Starlite kits with their 3200 Kelvin continuous
lights, stand, and softbox. Although they won't give
you a daylight temperature light (~5500K), they'll at
least give your students a simulation of what sunlight
would look like.

Since your senior citizen students may have either
digital or film, you could easily accomodate the
digital shooters by having them adjust their white
balance to match the Starlite, and for film shooters,
either instruct the students to bring tungsten film to
class at the time they register, or have some rolls of
tungsten film available for purchase by students at
the class.

Here's the URL for Photoflex:
<http://www.photoflex.com> (look at Starlites or
Octodome kits)

Here's a sampling of what's available for purchase
online at B&H Photo:
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=6188>

or a shorter URL if the one above doesn't work
<http://tinyurl.com/ex85b>'

I don't know what wattage requirements you'll need,
but if you look at a medium Photoflex Starlite QL
1000W Medium Octodome Kit, you'd be talking about $530
USD, plus s/h.

If you can get by with 500 watts, you looking at a
price around $270 USD + s/h.

The Photoflex website has lots of "online lessons"
with procedures and detailed example how-to photos
that might give you some ideas of what you'd need.

Go to the URL below and roll over the buttons right
above the photo midpage -- the 4th button from the
left should show a head & shoulder shot of a young
blonde woman. It's a good basic lesson that shows how
to use a single Starlite with softbox.
<http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html>

I can't say I have any personal hands-on experience
with them, but the idea of continuous light intrigues
me since I don't like having to calculate multiple
flashes.

 - Craig

--- NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone out there in Zuikoland have any
> suggestions for a simple
> effective lighting setup which could be used to give
> the appearance of a soft
> natural window light?  Specifically what I want to
> do is have a light I can  use
> inside while demonstrating natural lighting to a
> group of people for a  workshop
> I will be doing at night when the sun is on the
> other side of the  world.

> This spring I am
> will be presenting a workshop for a  group of senior
> citizens at one of the
> local universities on capturing better  images of
> their grandchildren and
> children.  The group will be small (12-15  people)
> and the workshop will be spread
> over a 4 to 6 week period.  There  will be
> assignments each session and I'll
> have plenty of examples, however I  would like to
> have a light that could be
> used to simulate a natural sun light  for
> demonstrating the beauty of natural
> lighting.
>
> So, as you respond to this post, please as specific
> as possible about what
> you have used that works (brand, size, etc.).  Cost
> is not a huge factor
> although my expectation is that it should cost a
> tremendous amount.  My  intention
> is not for my students to go out and buy lights, but
> rather to see how  they
> can use natural lighting.
>
> So let me hear from you.  Bill  Barber

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

- Craig

--------------------------------
"Now, for you people who are saying, 'Well, stop pointing fingers at the
president ... left-wing ... the media's being too hard.' No. Shut up. No. This
is inarguably -- inarguably -- a failure of leadership from the top of the
federal government.

"Remember when Bill Clinton went out with Monica Lewinsky? That was inarguably
a failure of judgment at the top. Democrats had to come out and risk losing
credibility if they did not condemn Bill Clinton for his behavior. I believe
Republicans are in the same position right now. And I will say this: Hurricane
Katrina is George Bush's Monica Lewinsky. The only difference is this: Tens of
thousands of people weren't stranded in Monica Lewinsky's vagina."

-- Jon Stewart

Yahoo! for Good
Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter