[OM] Re: E-10 initial impressions (LH-1 giveaway)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-10 initial impressions (LH-1 giveaway)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:08:32 -0400

iddi wrote:

> Got the E10 this afternoon. Had a heck of a long and crazy workday, with
> another long one ahead, so very limited play time..
>

> 6. How do I check what firmware revision I have? User's guide makes no
> mention of it. Where can I download new firmware and how to install it (no
> mention on OlyUSA site).

I dunno.  Maybe Oly didn't make it upgradeable.  E-20 manual doesn't
mention it either.  May point to Oly as software/firmware neophytes at
that point in their history.  Bugs?  What bugs?

> 7. Do high-speed cards matter? Using a non=speedy Crucial 128mb CF, and
> even 1/8 640*480 jpgs take a while to write (card activity blinking). Just
> curious.

Check the dpreview article on the E-10.  You'll probably want to read
the entire review here:
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse10/>

But, to answer your specific question check the "Timings & Sizes" page.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse10/page10.asp>
With a camera this old the firmware and electronics of the camera itself
are the likely performance bottleneck.  When you read the review you'll
also see that the camera gets slammed for poor write speed.  However, to
see if your own CF cards are measuring up try duplicating the dpreview
tests and see if your own camera is running at least as fast as these
tests.  The reviewer tends to use the fastest cards available at the
time the test was done.  If your (years later) cards don't measure up to
the results here then you've got truly slow stuff.  Much more likely
you'll come very close to these test results which will show the camera
to be the bottleneck.

Chuck Norcutt