[OM] Re: OT: "Its all Bush's fault"; long

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: "Its all Bush's fault"; long
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:26:46 -0400
Not sure if he "trained under" Segretti, though the convicted Nixon
henchman may have served as inspiration.

He did indeed work for/with Lee Atwater who worked for G. H. W. Bush.
Atwater was well known as a fixer/trickster with a long history of
attacking his employer's 'enemies'.  After being diagnosed with brain
cancer, he wrote a lot of letters to apologize to the many victims of
his dirty tricks.  He died at the age of forty.

Yes, politics can be a dirty game and Texas (by coincidence?) has
quite a history in that vein.  This story may help make the point.

In one of his early campaigns, it looked like Lyndon Johnson would
lose.  He met with his campaign manager and in the course of reviewing
strategies mused on the possibility of circulating a story that his
opponent had "an unnatural relationship with his livestock".  The
manager was aghast and exclaimed, "Lyndon, we can't call him a pig
f***er!"  Johnson replied, "No, but we can make him deny it!"

Sadly, politicians of all stripes have seen how effective such tactics
are (Clinton's stooges used similar tactics against Lewinsky) and the
dialog and process just continues to go downhill.

IMO, a refreshing variant is Matthew Miller's book "The Two Percent
Solution: Fixing America's Problems in Ways Liberals and Conservatives
Can Love".

FWIW/ScottGee1