[OM] Re: OM-1n repair question

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1n repair question
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:00:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 bartjew@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Could the Front Casting Part (that's the body part that holds the lens
> mount and the mirror etc.) of an OM-1n be replaced by that of an OM-1?
> The 1's part number is CA8702; and I haven't got the exploded view or a
> parts list for the 1n.

It depends on the vintage of the OM-1.  I believe later models models did
share the front casting but earlier ones definitely did not.  Regardless
though, you wouldn't want to do it.  The front and back castings are matched
for alignment at the factory and changing the front casting would require
careful re-alignment using a collimator.  It's not something you want to do
at home.

> The background of my question: I have an OM-1n, and the top screw that
> holds the Bayonet Mount (OM-1 equivalent of CA8877) to the body has lost
> its grip. It turns out that the side of the socket it is screwed into has
> broken off. This socket is an integral part of the die-cast front of the
> body.

I seem to remember that you can use a slightly longer screw to get it to grab
the threads which are beyond the broken part.
                                                -mark