[OM] Re: Suggestions for photogenic places in Provence?

Subject: [OM] Re: Suggestions for photogenic places in Provence?
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:40:31 +0930

At 11:48 AM +0200 2005.09.11, Jonas Otter wrote:
>I will be going to a conference for work to Opio in Provence next month.

I've been not far from here a few times for work, usually a month or so
at a time (more work than photography, unfortunately).

There are many photo opportunities. Of the three options that you mention

>Wine tasting at the Château de Crémat with a tour of their wine cellar

Probably not so crowded in October, maybe some autumn colours in the vines.
Cellars can be interesting for photos, but it would be difficult to predict
what access you would have. Would be interesting if you haven't visited
many wineries. The rose wines of this region are very good indeed  -- dry, not
cloying, gorgeous colour. Reds somewhat disappointing -- we bring some from
home :) .
Personally, I think this is not such an interesting area.

>Visit to the medieval village St Paul de Vence

Beautiful village, wonderful location, hordes of tourists and attendant
commercialization. But if you can arrive early, not very crowded,
and Mediterranean views should be excellent, so you could get both views
and village shots. Late afternoon is not so good -- October is I think
burning off season and there will probably be a massive smoke haze.

>Visit to the village of Biot, artists doing ceramics and glass-blowing.
>Visits to art galleries.

We found it a bit overdone. It is an interesting village, however.
Beautiful surroundings, although countryside around St Paul is more spectacular.

Actually, there are plenty of photo opportunities around where are staying for
your conference. If you were to find some walking paths and walk around in
early morning or evening you would find a lot. Nearby villages such as
Chateauneuf de Grasse  are interesting. Not far away is Valbonne -- the
village square has a wonderful ambience, goes well with a pastis or three.

Of course there is Grasse itself. The road from Opio is spectacular. In
Grasse  the Place aux Aires is good, especially at market time. IIRC market is
in the morning. Interesting at any time though (but it was much better before
the fromagerie near the fountain closed :(  ).

I'm sure you'll have a good time!

regards
  Andrew