[OM] Re: Another plea for remaining on topic and a bit of hypocrisy on m

Subject: [OM] Re: Another plea for remaining on topic and a bit of hypocrisy on my...
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 04:25:11 +0200
Le jeudi 15 Septembre 2005 16:54, Andrew Dacey a écrit :
> In the case of using my scanner, my current computer setup is
> inadequate in a number of ways (plan to move in the near future so
> this will hopefully be remedied soon). Using my scanner is awkward and
> inconvenient; I can do it but it's not enjoyable. This is a due to the
> way my computer is setup, not the hardware.

Scanners (especialy flatbeds) are the most inconvenient computer peripherals ;
they use a lot of valuable desk space, you can't pile anything on top of
them, and yet you have to manage to keep enough space to prepare the pictures
you're going to scan. Having a big glass CRT monitor (20") is the icing on
the cake and if you happen to be of the 'horizontal archiving' type of
person, it's unavoidable the situation gets out of control.

The solution I use is to put the scanner on its own small, rolling, table. I
do not hook it to my main computer, but to a smaller one dedicated to the
scanner control, located at the bottom of said table (without monitor,
keyoard or mouse), and connected via ethernet to my station (did I mention I
have lots of computers ?). This way, when I want to scan, I just roll the
table next to my desk, switch on the scanner and its controlling computer and
*presto*, it's ready without disturbing too much of my usual work ; the
scanner appears as a new acquisition source within the Gimp as soon as the
server is up. The best part of it being the ability for my GF to use it from
her own computer, in another room, when she needs to scan a page occasionaly.
She just has to walk in, switch on the thing, put her page on the glass, it's
done. I just wrote a couple of programs to switch off properly the scanner
server from remote computers.

Downside : remote scanning is not a common option with windows, and in fact I
don't know any twain driver which can turn a computer into a scanner server -
except some xerox copiers/fax. I use linux where it is standard with the sane
drivers, regardless of the scanner, provided there's a working backend for
that scanner type. I intend now to find a film scanner to add to said setup,
turning it into a real "acquisition device". As I only do B&W, I'm not
looking for anything new nor fancy, even a basic 5 years old Nikon without
ICE would do, as ICE doesn't work on silver films.

--
Manuel Viet