[OM] Re: OT Katrina help-site

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Katrina help-site
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:32:53 +1200
John wrote, re

http://www.disastersearch.org

> Brian Swale wrote:
> >
> > They created (within about 2 hours) the ONLY central on-line database for
> > people to search for lost loved ones.  There is no USA site that does this.
> > Access can also be made by cell-phone.
>
> That's interesting . . .
> The International Committee of the Red Cross has had this as one of its
> most important and significant missions for decades (reuniting family
> members separated by war, pestilence, natural disaster, etc.).  Their
> database for Hurricane Katrina is found on-line with instructions here:
>
> http://www.familylinks.icrc.org/katrina/locate
>
> Not to denigrate their effort; only to point out that it's not the only
> one.  Those searching for someone . . . this disaster or or any other
> one . . . should make an inquiry with the ICRC among the first steps in
> the search . . . and for anyone dislocated or evacuated, it's also one
> of the first steps to take to help others find you.
>
> -- John Lind

I was just reporting what I was hearing at that minute on the NZ National
Radio as the woman was being interviewed.

Interesting that nobody in the Open Source community alerted them to the
International Red Cross site (signifies that they did not know of it), that
there
is no USA government central website to co-ordinate these matters (one
would expect that surely), and the preacher who is setting  up scores of
refuges in at least two states, and who asked for this help which he got, was
not aware of the Red Cross site ( and presumably, considering the state of
the refuge creator's finances) has not had any assistance from the Red
Cross. Sounds as though he has never had any contact with the Red Cross.
On the other hand, they are well aware of the many bogus "help" sites out
there as they give warning about them  As a practiced internet searcher, I
would expect the Red Cross site to show up in any search that pulls in
bogus sites.

I wonder if they will exchange links.  I'll bet not.

Brian