[OM] Re: film for astrophotography

Subject: [OM] Re: film for astrophotography
From: Peter Leyssens <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:29:22 +0200
Charles,

>>Over 10 years ago, our observatory had TMAX3200 as fairly standard film,
>>except for some nutty experiments with Technical Pan.
>>

> 3200.  wow, everthing I've read so far calls for slow film.  How is the
> grain on that stuff?

The grain was big :)  But then we were shooting straight through a 25cm
Kutter scope (5000mm/f20 for us photographers) with no guiding scope,
and the motor wasn't too accurate.  Technical Pan, later on, was used
with a 300mm or larger mounted on that scope, using the scope itself to
track.

In any case, I don't really consider those days to be a reference in
astrophotography.  In the beginning, we didn't even use a thermometer in
the dark room, so most stuff came out pretty gray.  But after a couple
of years, after I had already quit, a few people did manage to get
really impressive shots of some simpler things (moon, Pleiads, ...) and
okay shots of nebulae etc.  No Sky&Telescope stuff, but quite decent.

Try shooting in colour too, it's interesting.

--
Peter Leyssens