[OM] Re: OT: "Its all Bush's fault"

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: "Its all Bush's fault"
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:07:41 -0400
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Then why was her identity classified?
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/20/
> AR2005072002517_pf.html
----------------------------------

Given the context of the referenced memorandum (Wilson's trip to Niger)
and that it was authored at the State Department I consider the claim
that it identifies Valerie Plame as a covert CIA agent to be pretty
weak.  Since she had no part in the actual investigation, in this
context, she is nothing but a footnote as being Wilson's wife.

Even if the State Department author meant to name her as a covert agent
I don't know why her identity would continue to be classified when the
CIA supposedly brought her back from Europe in 1997 because her identity
had been compromised.

from: <http://www.factcheck.org/article337.html>

June 1997 – Joseph Wilson returns to Washington DC as Senior Director
for African Affairs at the National Security Council. At about the same
time, Plame also moves back to the United States (Wilson, Politics 240),
in part because the CIA suspects her name was leaked to the Russians in
1994. ( Vanity Fair, Jan. ‘04) .

Since neither of us knows what's truth here let's let the prosecutor
figure it out.  It must not be crystal clear to him either.  He's been
working on it for a long time without bringing anything forward.

Chuck Norcutt