[OM] Re: off camera flash recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: off camera flash recommendations
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:45:45 -0400

swisspace wrote:
> A friend of mine ;-) has three camera systems bronica etrsi olympus OM
> and olympus E-1.  He has a F280 but that is only good for the OM, he is
> thinking of getting an FL36 for the E system, but that leaves the
> bronica so he then wonders if there is a better solution for on and off
> camera flash such as a metz with grip and appropriate controllers.

There's probably no better chance of TTL flash compatibility between
these three systems than Metz but it appears that current Metz stuff
doesn't support OM's and old Metz stuff doesn't support Oly digital.
But wading through the specs on the Metz site it rough going.

> I will/am (ooops okay it is me really) looking for some old vivatar or
> sunpaks to use as slaves, but would like a system that could be used as
> fill and trigger and also thats strong enough for general use.

Nothing wrong with older Vivitar (283/285) or Sunpak (4xx, 5xx, 6xx,
120j) on any of these counts.  With the exception of the Sunpak 622
(200' guide number at 35mm coverage) all of these flash units are in the
100-120' guide number range (at 35mm coverage) and similar to a T-32
(except for the T-32's wider angle of coverage without accessory lenses)
The T-32 does deliver here but I think the coverage is closer to 28mm
than Oly's claim of "almost 24mm".

> also is there an "idiots guide to flash" site anywhere. something that
> explains sca and pc setups  or the various other strange plugs like the
> one on the F280 - but not just for olympus.

Except for the PC connector everything is propietary with later stuff
taking on not only TTL control but lens focus distance, flash zoom
control, radio control, etc, etc, etc.  You'll have to visit Metz's site
<http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/> and look at the compatibility
data for SCA adapters which is what I was compaining about above.
<http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electronics/sca_adapter.143.html>

Unfortunately it's not well explained and you can't see a big, all
encompassing cross-reference table.  You have to enquire on each camera
model separately.  There's also something about compatibility with SCA
3002 cables which I found a total mystery.  My impression is that Metz
is paying much less attention to Oly digital than they used to pay to
OM's with their older stuff.  Maybe it's just that Oly is playing the
proprietary game a bit harder and have made their control signals more
difficult to decipher.

Good luck
Chuck Norcutt