[OM] Earning its keep

Subject: [OM] Earning its keep
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:00:51 -0700 (PDT)
As somebody who hangs a shingle out promoting my photographic
services I'm called upon to actually use the cameras for
profitable enterprises.

Today was one of those days.  Not that it's unusual, mind you,
but somedays you feel as though you've improved greatly through
the experience.  Most of the time, a portrait session or wedding
is a repeat of something you've done before.  Just a matter of
applying what you know to another repeat situation.  Been there,
done that.  However, today was a little bit unusual.

First of all, the senior getting her portrait taken was a good
subject and took very well to instructions.  Secondly, I had
recently came across a website with portraiture that really
raised my awareness and level of expectation.  The guy is Ron
Kramer and his website is www.houseofphotography.com.  I knew of
him when I lived up in Michigan, but I don't recall ever really
looked at his work.

Now, I know that it isn't good to plagerize--I've even written
about that.  But, for crying out loud, when you come across
something that is this good, you can't help but learn about new
poses, sets and lighting ideas.  I'm all set to spend thousands
on lights and set design now!  (not quite, but you get the
drift).

Back to today:  So I try some of the poses (which I've never
seen anybody else around here do), change my lighting a bit and
even used the stroboframe UPSIDE-DOWN!  Guys (and gals), I've
broken through another plateau. The quality of the lackluster
shots are better than my best up to this session.

Oh, as to the E-1?  Flawless performance as always.  Colors,
right out of the camera, are so close to perfect as to make a
person nervous.  Something has to be wrong.  Nope, just the
classical reassurance that you've nailed the shot.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com