[OM] Re: E10 quirks--just me?

Subject: [OM] Re: E10 quirks--just me?
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:28:42 -0700 (PDT)
In a previous post I calculated the Energy capacity of Li-ion CRV-3's, and said
it was modestly more than the NiMh's.   I had assumed they were conventional
Li-ion cells with a Li-cobalt cathode, I was wrong , they appear to be
Li-phosphate cells.   The conventional Li-Co cells have a nominal voltage of
about  4.1V.  In fact the CRV-3 rechargeable is a replacement for a 3V primary
cell, so it uses a different cathode to produce a lower nominal voltage (around
3.25V). This results in a significantly lower energy.
On the face of it they will have a lower capacity/lower run times than the high
capacity NiMh cells. (as pointed out by CH).   As I pointed out previously
though, users report much better results from these CRV-3 rechargeables than
from Nimh.

In general the lower voltage (~3.2V) Li-ion rechargeable batteries using
phosphate cathode materials, are not common (except maybe CR3V's ??) and are
not popular because the energy density is much lower than the the ~4.1v cells.
However, they have some desireable characteristics which may help in this case:
They can generally deliver much higher peak currents and have better cycle
life.  The high peak current and flat discharge curve may help in this case to
increase run time.

Regards,
Tim Hughes