[OM] Re: Earning its keep

Subject: [OM] Re: Earning its keep
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:15:15 -0300
On 9/17/05, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Back to today:  So I try some of the poses (which I've never
> seen anybody else around here do), change my lighting a bit and
> even used the stroboframe UPSIDE-DOWN!  Guys (and gals), I've
> broken through another plateau. The quality of the lackluster
> shots are better than my best up to this session.

AG, I wanted to thank you for this post. For the last few months I've
been feeling like I've been stuck at a plateau photographically as
well. I had thought that the cause of this was related to me returning
from SE Asia and just not being as inspired by local stuff as when I
was away shooting a high volume of new (to me) stuff.

I'd been letting these ideas swirl around in my brain for the last few
months trying to figure out a solution to the problem. I'd been
contemplating posting to the list asking for advice on how to break
through this plateau. Your email provided the impetus for me to start
writing that email. Last night I wrote a very long and personal
message about this plateau. I originally started by talking about this
problem of creative inspiration but then moved into talking about how
photo had fit into my life over the past years. The epiphany came when
I realised that my current plateau isn't a problem with creative
inspiration at all (or if it is, that's a secondary issue), the real
issue is the role that photo was playing in my life. My life has gone
through significant positive changes in the last year or so and the
role that photo was fulfilling in my life isn't needed any more.

>From that realisation I was able to re-examine a lot of things that
I've been struggling with for the past number of years and see them in
a new light. This has really helped me clear up a lot of uncertainty
that I've had about my life. That's not to say that I've figured it
all out but a lot of stuff is making more sense now.

In the end I decided that the message was too personal to post to the
list but it was the process of writing out my story that helped me to
come to this new understanding about myself so I wanted to thank you
AG for being the catalyst for this.