[OM] This Resolution Business

Subject: [OM] This Resolution Business
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:01:15 -0400
Well, in the continuing non-political saga of things starting to happen
outside the realm of selling pretty pictures to tourists, I've been
contacted by the manager of a string quartet, which is having a promotional
article in some sort of trade publication, and the editor of the trade
publication wants a large 300 dpi shot representative of Midcoast Maine.

I have many such shots, as the manager knows, and she's put me in touch with
the editor. Now, the perfectly lovely E-1 shots I take around the Midcoast
tend to register 240 dpi after standard conversion from RAW, and regular
editing. I find the resolution figure by right clicking the image in Picture
Window Pro and reading the Resolution line.

Seems like the E-1 was designed for pro use, so it's resolution ought to be
fine, but this editor is specific in her desire for a "large 300 dpi image,"
and so I've played with my programs and found I'm able to register 300 dpi
by using interpolation programs, but also by just clicking on resize in PW
Pro and entering 300 instead of 240. After saving the image, when I bring it
up again it says it's 300 dpi. I can't tell a dime's worth of difference
between the two images, but you know how magazine editors are.

I suppose what I'm really saying is that I'm using the hammer without really
understanding the laws of physics that apply. I can swing and hit the nail
pretty good, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing. The digital camera
takes good pictures when I use it, but I'm pretty ignorant about all this
esoteric stuff, especially when it comes to resolution, etc.

So, if anyone's feeling a bit patient, and also feels godlike in the desire
to watch out for little children, fools, and ignorant photographers, I'd
appreciate a little no-nonsense straight poop without all the truly
scientific lingo that causes my brain to shut down.

Thanx!

--Bob