[OM] Re: Cleaning tape residue off of an XA?

Subject: [OM] Re: Cleaning tape residue off of an XA?
From: Parzival Herzog <parzp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:14:37 -0500
On Sunday 18 September 2005 11:49, Stephen Walker wrote:
> Anyhow, it's got a bit of sticky tape residue on the
> back of the camera which is pretty annoying.  I tried
> a little methanol but that didn't seem to dissolve it.
>  I was going to try some "goof off" but I was worried
> it would hurt the plastic.

Try limonene ("Citrus cleaner"), that orange stuff that is distilled from the
oils in the peels all those frozen juice oranges, or by pyrolizing old rubber
tires. Use a full strength product. Where I am it is sold as "Citra-Solv".

It does a pretty good job on sticky tape residue, has not harmed any plastic I
have used it on. On a camera, I would clean the goo off with limonene, wipe
dry with a fresh cloth, the clean with a little window cleaner to remove any
oil residue.

--
Parzival Herzog