[OM] Re: This Resolution Business

Subject: [OM] Re: This Resolution Business
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:35:26 -0400
Walt Wayman wrote:

> Or not.  A TIFF 2560x1920 pixels equals an 8.15x6.11 in. image at 314
> dpi.  But if I change the size to 10x7.5 in., PWP says it's still 314
> dpi.

Doesn't matter whether TIFF, JPEG, raw or any other format the only
thing that really matters is the number of pixels in the image.
Resolution is a construct which only has meaning for displays, printing
or when resizing an image.  That's when pixels take on a role of
physical dimensions instead of an abstract dot.

If your 2560x1920 pixel image is printed at 314 pixels per inch the
resulting print will be 8.15x6.11 in.  However, if you resize the image
  to 10x7.5 at 314 dpi the number of pixels will be increased to
3140x2355.  (if you've done this with PWP's "resize dialog" pay
attention to what happens to the pixel dimensions as you change the
resolution setting).  If resolution is held constant and the "print
size" is changed up or down then the number of pixels must also go up or
down via "upsampling" (make up some fake pixels) or "downsampling"
(throw some of the good ones away).

Chuck Norcutt