[OM] Curmudgeon Disorder - it's a legitimate condition!

Subject: [OM] Curmudgeon Disorder - it's a legitimate condition!
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:12:43 +1000
Just listening to one Associate Professor or Psychology Bill van
Hippel of the University of New South Wales - he's been researching
the causes of mature onset frankness. It's caused, apparently by the
slight atrophy of the pre-frontal lobes in age leading to decreased
inhibition (reduced tact) in the elderly without affecting
intelligence. He is interested in the embarassment factor of over
65's but an argument could be made I'm sure for early onset 'I don't
give a shit what anyone thinks' curmudgeonness.
Hey, now we can form a self-help group and seek government funding!
Not that I'd want to join a group full of opinionated old farts.
AndrewF

Dr WH von Hippel, School of Psychology; “Aging, inhibition
and stereotyping and prejudice”; Ohio State University
Research Foundation

http://www.psy.unsw.edu.au/Users/BHippel/