[OM] Re: This Resolution Business

Subject: [OM] Re: This Resolution Business
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:33:09 -0400
Walt Wayman wrote:

> I'm an old retro fart playing with this digital stuff, having
> scanners and printers and software, and even an E-Thing, but it may
> all be more than I'm willing to tax my tired old brain for in order
> to figure out all the technical BS.

It does get downright confusing at times but I mentioned the PW Pro
resize tool since I know you use PW Pro.  I was mighty befuddled by what
it was doing when I first tried using it some 3 or 4 years ago but
finally figured it out by watching all the numbers in the table as I
changed something.

I finally realized that, if I changed the resolution value, the image
dimensions (print size) would change but the pixel dimensions stayed the
same.  However, it doesn't work that way in reverse.  If you change the
print size the resolution stays the same and so the pixel dimensions change.

The software assumes that you want to set the resolution and then hold
it constant. Exactly what you want to do if you're going to print at a
particular quality level.  The proper way to resize the image is to
first select the desired output resolution and then set the image size.
  The image will then be upsampled or downsampled to have the
appropriate number of pixels on each dimension to fit the the stated
size and resolution.  Want an 8" high print at 300 dpi?  Set the
resoulution at 300 and enter the size.  No matter how many pixels you
started with the resulting image will be 300*8 = 2400 pixels high and
the other dimension will be set proportionately (unless you are a
masochist and chose not to preserve proportions).  The proportionate
value for an uncropped E-1 image would be 3200 pixels and 10.67" wide.
You could then crop this image to 8x10" for printing if so desired.
Diddling with the numbers in a different order can be confusing.

Chuck Norcutt